Pushing frontiers in health research II
Outline application deadline: 8 August 2018
Full application deadline: 19 December 2018
Contact: Anna Durrans at email@example.com
Focus of the call
Through this call, we seek to fund ambitious and innovative research that will make significant strides towards better management of musculoskeletal diseases, building on and expanding previous work in the field, as well as inspiring new original research. Funded research resulting from the call will be expected to take a multidisciplinary approach to deliver these studies. There are three priority areas that this call seeks to address.
- Built and work environment and impact on musculoskeletal health.
- Barriers and challenges to implementation of effective interventions for musculoskeletal conditions.
- Supported self-management and life style changes for people with musculoskeletal conditions.
Further details about the scope of the call can be found in the call document (PDF 126 KB).
Who can apply?
Any academic, clinician or allied health care professional at an eligible UK institution can apply. The lead applicant must be based at an eligible UK institution. Individuals who are employed by, or whose salary derives from, a commercial organisation are not eligible to apply for an Arthritis Research UK award but may be included as a coapplicant. Please note all applications must have a lead applicant or another coapplicant that is tenured.
What can you apply for?
This call applies a broad and flexible approach seeking applications to the Health subcommittee. We anticipate that awards made under this call will be for up to £400,000 and up to 48 months in duration. Applications for awards greater than £400,000 should be led by established groups with substantial research track records and need prior discussion with our research office before submission. We anticipate very few applications to be above the limit. Submitted applications that are greater than £400,000 without prior agreement will not be considered.
- Research staff and technical salaries (set by host institution) should be according to age and experience on the appropriate scientific or clinical salary scale.
- A maximum spine point 43 on the national scale is allowed for postdoctoral research staff, special justification is required for funding senior postdoctoral research staff above point 37.
- London weighting allowance will be payable at the rate appropriate to each host institution.
- The percentage of inflation must be included in the application and be in line with the most recent pay award agreed by the institution (and no greater than 2% a year).
- Reasonable running costs
- Small items of essential equipment may be requested up to a maximum cost £30,000. Any single item costing £5,000 or over must include a written estimate at full application stage.
- Any requests for computers must be fully justified and integral to the success of the research.
- Access charges for use of specialist equipment may be applied for within expenses.
- In line with other UK medical charities, Arthritis Research UK does not provide funds for directly allocated or indirect research costs, such as administrative costs or overheads.
- A list of eligible and ineligible costs can be found in the guidance document (PDF 119.6 KB).
How to apply
There is a two-stage application process. At the first stage, applicants are invited to submit an outline application which provides an overview of the project and funding requested. This should be submitted through our grants management system GrantTracker where the outline form is available.
The deadline for the receipt of outline applications is 16:00 on 8 August 2018. Submissions after 16:00 will not be accepted.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome of the outline stage before the end of October 2018 and successful applicants will be invited to submit a full application in GrantTracker to a deadline of 19 December 2018. Funding decisions are expected in May 2019.