We're using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you're agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more

Can whiplash cause spondylitis?

Q) Can a whiplash injury cause spondylitis? I was in a crash over a year ago and I am still in incredible pain, with numbness and tingling in right hand.

I never had pain before the accident, and my research points to spondylitis. My doctors are baffled, so I'm trying to diagnose myself. They're giving me a TENS machine.
Lesley, via email (Summer 2015)

A) Let's clear up a bit of unhelpful terminology here. Spondylitis is a bit of a useless term, in my opinion. It refers to inflammation of the joints of the neck and it's used as a diagnosis for a lot of neck problems. But it's a bit of a catch-all phrase that doesn't properly describe what's happening to you – pain in your neck with radiation to the right arm and hand.

What you have by the sounds of things is whiplash (an injury caused by forced forward and backward movement of the head) causing neck pain, probably from the muscles and ligaments that support the spine and, by the sounds of it, some irritation, pressure or injury to the nerves that pass out from the neck. Pain that radiates from the neck to the hand, particularly associated with numbness and tingling, is pretty much the hallmark of injury to the nerves as they leave the spine.    

If you've had symptoms for a year and no clear cause has been identified, you need further investigation – an MRI scan firstly and then nerve conduction studies (also called EMG – electromyelography) if the MRI doesn't fully explain what's happening.

That said, a TENS machine is a reasonable suggestion for your pain. It's safe and effective, and can be started while you're waiting for investigations. But the full range of treatment options can only be known when you have a proper diagnosis. If your doctor is baffled, then they need to refer you to someone who can give you a proper diagnosis, explanation and management plan.

This answer was provided by Dr Tom Margham for the Summer 2015 edition of our magazine, Arthritis Today, and was correct at the time of publication.

Send your questions for Dr Tom Margham to

Keep up to date with the latest from Arthritis TodaySign up today.


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis. Open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

Virtual Assistant

Our new Arthritis Virtual Assistant uses artificial intelligence to answer your arthritis related questions 24/7.

Ask a question

We're now

Versus Arthritis.

You're being taken through to our new website in order to finish your donation.

Thank you for your generosity.

For more information, go to
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.