We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
You are here:
> > > > > What should I do if I'm going travelling?

What should I do if I'm going travelling?

The vaccinations you'll need if you’re travelling vary depending on where you’re going and on the type of travel. You can get up-to-date advice from the NHS Choices website or you can discuss it with your GP. You should take advice in the early stages of making your travel plans, but don't let your medications put you off travelling.

The risks of getting infections when you’re abroad depend on the type of travel. You’ll be at much less risk on a business trip or holiday in a top-class tourist hotel than a long trip to the countryside in some less industrialised countries. 

Travel to countries where there's a high risk of catching yellow fever, such as central Africa, should be avoided if you’re on an immunosuppressive drug because you shouldn't have a yellow fever or any other live vaccines. 

To enter some countries you need a certificate of vaccination against yellow fever even if there’s no risk of contracting yellow fever in that country. If this is required you’ll need an exemption certificate from your GP, but you should check before you travel if this is acceptable.


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis. Open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

Virtual Assistant

Our new Arthritis Virtual Assistant uses artificial intelligence to answer your arthritis related questions 24/7.

Ask a question
For more information, go to
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.