We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
You are here:

Who carries out research?

Research can be carried out by many different people, but generally researchers are the doctors and healthcare professionals who treat you.

Volunteers can get involved at different stages of research and can do a variety of things to help. You might even be able to conduct your own research if you’re involved in an organisation that has links to the medical community; for example a support group might be asked to conduct research that involves sending out a questionnaire to their members.

Where is research done?

A lot of research will be carried out in local health centres, but some studies will be based in hospitals, universities, research centres and other places. Some people participate in research from their own homes through telephone interviews or written questionnaires.


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis. Open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

Virtual Assistant

Our new Arthritis Virtual Assistant uses artificial intelligence to answer your arthritis related questions 24/7.

Ask a question
For more information, go to
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.