We're using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you're agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more


Podiatrists are experts on problems with the feet and ankles. Some specialise in problems caused by arthritis and related conditions.

How can I be referred to a podiatrist?

Podiatrists (sometimes called chiropodists) may work either in the NHS or in private clinics. Your GP or hospital consultant may refer you to an NHS podiatrist, but many NHS podiatry services will also accept patients on a self-referral basis.

If you’re self-referring you should make sure you go to an HPC-registered podiatrist.

How can a podiatrist help me?

Podiatrists can:

  • help with problems such as corns, calluses and troublesome nails
  • give advice and help with getting special shoes or insoles to correct foot deformities.

Some podiatrists are also qualified to perform minor surgery.

At your first appointment your podiatrist will usually:

  • assess your feet
  • note any current treatment
  • ask you how long you’ve been diagnosed with arthritis
  • agree a treatment plan.

Depending on the problem, this plan may include advice on self-care, regular podiatry follow-up or referral for further treatment with other healthcare departments.


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis. Open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

Virtual Assistant

Our new Arthritis Virtual Assistant uses artificial intelligence to answer your arthritis related questions 24/7.

Ask a question

We're now

Versus Arthritis.

You're being taken through to our new website in order to finish your donation.

Thank you for your generosity.

For more information, go to
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.