We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
You are here:
> > > > How can social services help if I have arthritis?

How can social services help if I have arthritis?

A financial advisor talking with a couple

How can Social Services help?

Social Services departments have Disability Teams with occupational therapists. They visit people at home to assess their needs and to provide advice on specialist equipment and adaptations and, where possible, arrange for their provision. The occupational therapist may advise on what grants are available. Eligibility for equipment and grants varies between areas and for different individuals depending on their means. You may be able to have some equipment on loan from your local Social Services department or hospital.

Social Services may also be able to arrange for you to have help with personal care and advise you on local schemes that offer help with housework and shopping.

Details of your local Social Services department will be listed in the telephone directory. Alternatively, a local library should be able to give you the number or address.

How can voluntary organisations help?

The British Red Cross runs an equipment loan service for wheelchairs and other specialist equipment, and Age UK helps with shopping and housework in some areas. Age UK also offers handyman services for help with gardening and small household jobs such as changing the batteries on smoke alarms. You may also find others in the phone book – or ask your Social Services department or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Related organisations

The following organisations may be able to provide additional advice and information:

Arthritis Care
Phone: 020 7380 6500 
Helpline: 0808 800 4050 

Age UK 
Phone: 0800 678 1174

AskSARA (part of the Disabled Living Foundation)

Ask SARA gives helpful advice on gadgets and equipment to make everyday activities easier. The website will ask you to select the topic you’re interested in (for example cooking) and answer a few questions before giving a personalised report.

Living Made Easy (for information on Disabled Living Centres)
Phone: 0300 999 0004

British Red Cross
Phone: 0344 871 1111

Scope (formerly Disability Information and DIAL Network or Dial UK)
Phone: 0808 800 3333

An independent network of local disability information and advice services run by and for disabled people.

Disability Rights UK (formerly Disability Alliance, RADAR and the National Centre for Independent Living)
Phone: 0207 250 8181

Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) 
Phone: 0300 999 0004

National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society (NRAS)
Phone: 0845 458 3969
Helpline: 0800 298 7650

Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)
Phone: 0303 123 9999


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis. Open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

Virtual Assistant

Our new Arthritis Virtual Assistant uses artificial intelligence to answer your arthritis related questions 24/7.

Ask a question
For more information, go to
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.