What about outdoor electric vehicles?
If you feel that car driving isn't for you then you might consider buying an outdoor electric vehicle. Some things to think about:
- They can be bought with your Mobility Allowance or PIP.
- You don't need a driving licence.
- You don't have to pay road tax.
- They can be driven on the pavements but not on paths marked ‘cycles only'.
- Second-hand models are available.
- The Department for Work and Pensions doesn’t provide outdoor electric vehicles at present.
For further advice you could see an occupational therapist, or talk to someone at your local mobility aids centre or rheumatology department.
It's a good idea to try out the vehicle before buying.