We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
You are here:
> > > > What about outdoor electric vehicles?

What about outdoor electric vehicles?

If you feel that car driving isn’t for you then you might consider buying an outdoor electric vehicle. Some things to think about:

  • They can be bought with your Mobility Allowance.
  • You don’t need a driving licence.
  • You don’t have to pay road tax.
  • They can be driven on the pavements.
  • Second-hand models are available.
  • The Department for Work & Pensions doesn’t provide outdoor electric vehicles at present.

Seek the advice of your occupational therapist, aids centre or rheumatology department. Make sure you try out the vehicle before buying.


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis. Open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

Virtual Assistant

Our new Arthritis Virtual Assistant uses artificial intelligence to answer your arthritis related questions 24/7.

Ask a question
For more information, go to
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.