Buying a car
If you're buying a car you should consider a model with power-assisted steering and automatic gears. These require less effort to use. You could also try the extra features suggested below:
- a padded steering wheel cover, which makes gripping more comfortable
- a supportive headrest, which is essential for your neck
- a moulded backrest
- a panoramic rear-view mirror and blind spot mirrors added to the wing mirrors, which may help to give a better view if you have limited neck movement.
What about finance?
If you're receiving one of the following mobility allowances you may be able to join the Motability scheme and lease a car, scooter, powered wheelchair or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle:
- the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HMRC DLA)
- the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment
- the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).
You must be in line to receive one of the above benefits for at least the next 12 months.
If you receive any of the benefits above, you may not have to pay road tax. There is more information about financial help you may be entitled to if you have arthritis, and how to apply, on this Government webpage.