Tips to make shopping easier
You may find shopping is difficult and tiring, but there are ways round this problem:
- Shop online or use catalogues so you can get home deliveries.
- Plan to shop on a day when you don’t have many other things to do.
- Don’t carry too much in one go and use plastic bags with firm handle-grip inserts (you can buy these at some supermarkets or our online shop). You can also try adapted grips to prevent carrier bags digging into your fingers or use a shopping basket/trolley on wheels.
- Take someone with you to help or ask friends to shop for you. Social Services may arrange for someone to help if you can't do it yourself.
- Ask for help at the supermarket, especially with packing and loading into the car.
Many large stores provide wheelchairs for customers, and town councils run Shopmobility schemes where you can hire wheelchairs and scooters.