We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
You are here:

What benefits are we entitled to?

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau or the Disability Benefits Centre can advise you on whether you're entitled to any benefits for yourself or the person you're caring for.

If you get an unfavourable response from the agency assessing your claim, you may be able to appeal against their decision, but try not to take it personally or let it upset you. Talk to a rheumatology nurse specialist or doctor if you need medical support for your claim.

Practical help may also be available from a local Social Services department if the arthritis is causing major difficulties with everyday activities.


If the person you care for is having difficulty with work, they can speak to a Disability Employment Advisor (DEA) about adaptations, professional support and retraining. You can contact DEAs through your local Jobcentre Plus office. There may also be a doctor or health advisor at the person’s place of work who could help.

Driving and getting around

If needed, you can modify your car so the person you care for can continue driving. You can get advice from Ricability, a consumer research charity, or a specialist mobility centre can arrange an individual assessment (there's normally a fee for this).

Speak to your local council or look online for information about applying for a disabled parking permit (the Blue Badge scheme).


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis. Open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

Virtual Assistant

Our new Arthritis Virtual Assistant uses artificial intelligence to answer your arthritis related questions 24/7.

Ask a question
For more information, go to
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.