We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
You are here:
> > > > > Who diagnoses and treats vasculitis

Who diagnoses and treats vasculitis

If you have vasculitis it's important you have one consultant who is in overall charge of your care. The management and care of patients with vasculitis is usually undertaken mainly by a rheumatologist, as they specialise in inflammatory diseases, or less frequently by a nephrologist (kidney doctor), especially if the kidneys are affected.

However, vasculitis in some circumstances may affect a variety of different organs. If required, your care should involve a multi-disciplinary team of consultants with different specialities, working together. For example, if your lungs and airways are seriously affected, care may involve a respiratory consultant. In some cases an ear, nose and throat (ENT) consultant, an ophthalmologist, neurologist, gastro-enterologist, immunologist or dermatologist may also be involved.


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis. Open Mon–Fri 9am–8pm.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

Virtual Assistant

Our new Arthritis Virtual Assistant uses artificial intelligence to answer your arthritis related questions 24/7.

Ask a question
For more information, go to
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.