Duhuo Jisheng Wan trials for osteoarthritis
In this trial, 200 participants with osteoarthritis of the knee were randomly given daily doses of one of the following:
- 75 mg diclofenac tablets
- 9 g Duhuo Jisheng Wan tablets
- placebo tablets identical to the diclofenac
- placebo tablets identical to the Duhuo Jisheng Wan.
The groups were compared with respect to side-effects and effectiveness over a four-week period.
- Compared to the corresponding placebo groups, participants who received either Duhuo Jisheng Wan or diclofenac had significantly lower scores for pain and stiffness.
- Compared to diclofenac, the beneficial effects of Duhuo Jisheng Wan were slower to develop.
- Around 30% of participants in both groups receiving diclofenac and Duhuo Jisheng Wan reported side-effects; however, both groups also reported significantly more side-effects than the placebo groups.