Location: London, with occasional travel throughout UK
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Salary: £28,500 – £30,500 pa + Benefits
Contract type: Permanent
Closing date: by midnight Sunday 25 November
Download the job description and person specification (Word 65.3KB)
We are looking for an enthusiastic national campaigns officer to join our ambitious Campaigns team. By creating engaging and accessible campaigns to influence key decision makers, you will help us push back the limits of arthritis for the 17.8 million people living with musculoskeletal conditions.
About the role
Arthritis can affect people of any age and be a painful and debilitating condition for many. It can stop people working, living independently and spending time with family and friends. Alongside the personal impact, musculoskeletal conditions have a big impact on society. They amount to the third largest area of NHS England spending, are the reason for one in five lost working days in the UK and are the major cause of disability.
Versus Arthritis - formed by the coming together of Arthritis Research UK and Arthritis Care – is now the largest charity in the country supporting people with arthritis, and campaigning is at the heart of the new organisation. Our dynamic Campaigns team sits in the Policy and Public Affairs department, and together they challenge the Government on issues that affect people with arthritis.
We involve people with arthritis in creative ways throughout our campaign activity; producing engaging and accessible resources and activities to secure the attention of decision makers and ensure positive change happens. Take a look at our recent campaigns to get an idea of what kind of work the role will entail:
This role reports directly to the Campaigns Manager and will be instrumental in making sure the stories of people with arthritis are communicated effectively, and that our campaigns apply pressure at the right time, to the right people.
The successful candidate will contribute to shaping our campaigning strategy and developing plans for how we increase our campaigning activity. This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who wants to transform lives and develop their campaigning skills.
You will bring:
- Enthusiasm for the role and commitment to transforming the lives of people with arthritis.
- Strong knowledge and experience of devising campaign activities and creating resources to influence change, ideally for national campaigns.
- Proven experience of working with volunteers and involving them in your projects.
- Ability to write content for a range of platforms and publications; translating complex ideas into simple and engaging messages.
- Strong verbal communications skills, with the confidence to speak to people at all levels about our work, and the ability to adapt your style for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent organisational skills, including experience of coordinating projects, working independently, prioritising effectively and meeting deadlines.
- Experience of building good working relationships with a variety of colleagues and promoting the work of the campaigns team internally.
- Experience of using databases to store contact information, knowledge of policies and procedures concerning data governance and protection.
- Good attention to detail; consistently producing accurate work and identifying errors.
- A flexible approach, with the ability to adapt to the needs of the charity.
How to apply
To apply you MUST submit:
- a concise, up-to-date CV
- along with a supporting statement demonstrating how you meet the key requirements set out in the job description and person specification (Word 65.3KB)
- Please include where you’ve seen this role advertised
If you have any questions about the role please do feel free to contact Morgan Vine, Campaigns Manager on email@example.com
Please email your completed application by midnight on Sunday 25 November to firstname.lastname@example.org
First round interviews expected: Thursday 6 or Friday 7 December with second interview the following week.
Arthritis causes pain, fatigue and isolation for 17.8 million people in the UK every single day. It can impact on the ability to work, our relationships and take away our independence. We don’t accept this.
We are Versus Arthritis. We are volunteers, healthcare professionals, campaigners, researchers and friends, all doing everything we can to push back against arthritis. We’re reaching out to everybody with the information and support they need, funding vital research and changing the way society sees arthritis. Together we’ll keep running, researching, inﬂuencing, volunteering, advising, chatting, baking, listening. We won’t stop until no-one has to tolerate living with the pain, fatigue and isolation of arthritis.
Join us and use your skills, knowledge, passion and energy to help us defy arthritis.
Read more about what we do, working for us and what we offer.
Promoting Equality in the workplace
Versus Arthritis is a Registered Charity No: 207711 and in Scotland No. SC041156