Open access policy
Arthritis Research UK is the charity dedicated to stopping the devastating impact that arthritis has on people’s lives. We are committed to ensuring the published results of the research we fund are made as free and widely available as possible. Open access is an important means of maximising the impact of our funded research; it helps to share knowledge amongst the scientific community and enables our supporters to access the research they fund.
Open access options and costs
You can make your paper open access by publishing in an open access journal. Many publishers impose an article processing charge (APC) for this service. Arthritis Research UK provides financial support to pay these charges.
- From 1 October 2014, Arthritis Research UK has contributed to the Charity Open Access Fund (COAF) . The fund is a partnership between medical research charities and is available to a number of institutions. Authors should apply through their host institution to access this fund.
- Authors based at an institution not supported by COAF, can apply direct to Arthritis Research UK for open access funding if their host institution is unable to meet the costs of APCs.
- Alternatively, authors can comply with Arthritis Research UK policy by self-archiving their publication in Europe PubMed Central (Europe PMC) within six months of publication.
Arthritis Research UK policy
We recommend authors select publishing routes that ensure the work is freely available immediately on publication in its final published form.
- Where APCs are paid through the COAF, authors and publishers must licence papers using a Creative Commons Attribution licence (CC-BY). This is so they may be freely copied and re-used (e.g. for text and data mining purposes), providing such uses are fully attributed.
- Where APCs are paid direct by Arthritis Research UK, we recommend that authors and publishers licence papers using a CC-BY licence.
- Electronic copies of any research papers accepted for publication that are wholly or partially funded by Arthritis Research UK must be made available via Europe PMC as soon as possible and no later than six months after publication.
What type of publications does the policy apply to?
- Arthritis Research UK’s open access policy applies to original research papers submitted for publication.
- Where APCs are met through COAF, funding is available for original research papers and non-commissioned reviews.
- Where APCs are met by Arthritis Research UK, funding is available for original research papers only and does not cover additional page charges or colour plate charges.
- Our open access policy does not extend to editorials, letters, commissioned reviews, scholarly monographs, conference proceedings or book chapters.
Guidance to support researchers in complying with this policy can be found in our step by step guide to making your paper open access.