Scientific strategy committee
The scientific strategy committee (SSC) advises Arthritis Research UK on strategies to achieve our research goals. The SSC meets three times a year and formally reports to the Board of Trustees.
The main objectives of SSC are:
- To maximise the scientific value to Arthritis Research UK of the research it funds and recommend any further action to be taken in relation to this research.
- To be responsible to the Board of Trustees for the management, development and review of all response mode funding and grant awards.
- To oversee the scientific development of the Kennedy Institute and the Epidemiology Unit and instigate quinquennial reviews.
- To recommend the award of any other major academic or research support and any other funding schemes in pursuit of the aims of Arthritis Research UK.
- To advise the Board of Trustees on Arthritis Research UK research strategy, the effectiveness of Arthritis Research UK funded research and to recommend areas of potential or unmet need.
The SSC has established and reviews the work of sub-committees to implement its strategies. Currently these comprise a research sub committee, a clinical studies sub-committee, a programme grant sub-committee and a fellowship implementation committee.
Members are drawn from the academic and health-care community, and contribute their skills and expertise in broad areas of biomedical and clinical science. Members advise on aspects which will inform Arthritis Research policies or impact on our work, such as:
- scientific, medical and health service changes
- funding policies by Universities, the NHS, funding councils and other funders
- issues related to research ethics and governance, and the use of animals
- publication policy and ensuring integrity of research findings
- intellectual property
- relationship with industry
- Professor David Marsh (acting chair)
- Professor Simon Bowman (observer)
- Professor Jon Cohen (observer)
- Dr Sylvie Jackson
- Dr Rodger McMillan
- Mr Martyn Porter (observer)
- Professor David Isenberg
- Professor Mike Pringle
- Professor Dorian Haskard
- Professor Mike Pringle
- Professor Patrick Sissons
- Professor Janet Darbyshire (Chair Clinical Studies Sub-Committee)
- Professor Ray Fitzpatrick
- Professor Eric Jenkinson (Chair Programme Grant Sub-Committee)
- Mr Charles Maisey (Chair Board of Trustees)
- Professor Sir Andrew McMichael
- Professor Luke O'Neill (Chair Research Sub-Committee)
- Dr Liam O’Toole (Chief Executive)
- Dr Stephen Simpson (Director of Research)