Medical student electives - only 5 places remaining!
The Arthritis Research UK medical student elective scheme gives you the opportunity to develop musculoskeletal skills you have learnt in your medical school in an overseas healthcare setting. You're likely to get the chance to see and treat unfamiliar conditions and you'll gain an insight into differences in healthcare delivery in other parts of the world.
Previous students have described their electives as ‘a unique and memorable experience’, ‘hugely enjoyable’ and ‘invaluable in terms of experience’. The scheme covers flight and accommodation costs up to a total of £1,500 to one of the elective institutions below or to an institution of your choice providing the placement has a musculoskeletal focus. This is a competitive scheme but outline details and information on eligibility are shown below.
- You must be a medical student in a UK university
- Arthritis Research UK will fund flight and accommodation costs up to a total of £1,500 , any other costs, e.g. registration fees, visa costs will NOT be covered
- You must apply at least two months before the start date of your elective
- If not applying for one of the institutions below you must have already confirmed your placement with an institution at the time of application (evidence of this will be required)
- The placement must be musculoskeletal-related, e.g. in the department of rheumatology/orthopaedics, and this will form one of the criteria for assessment of applications.
Placements available at...
- Dept of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Medanta, The Medicity, Sector 38, Gurgaon, Haryana, India - Dr R Gupta
- Dept of Immunology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India - Dr Misra
- Dept of Rheumatology, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, University of the Witwaterstand, Chris Hani Road, Soweto, Johannesburg - Prof M Tikly
- Dept of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore - 632004, Tamilnadu, India - Dr D Danda
- Dept of Rheumatology, Hutt Hospital, Wellington, New Zealand - Professor E Dennison
To apply for the elective scheme please complete the application form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org along with confirmation of your elective placement (this is not required if you are applying for one of the placements above) and your academic transcript. The deadline for applications is Monday 2 March .
‘I am very thankful for this opportunity which has allowed me to gain experience with rare conditions, the Indian health care system and some of India itself. This elective has solidified my aspiration to follow a career in rheumatology.’
‘Having the opportunity to spend an extensive amount of time with a team of highly dedicated and knowledgeable field experts certainly was an excellent experience. By dedicating four weeks to this specialist field, I have developed a much deeper and comprehensive understanding of both Rheumatology and Immunology. This of course, will hopefully be of much benefit to me in my future career. In addition to the specialist information ascertained during my elective, the opportunity to experience medicine in a completely different culture to my own, was also excellent.’