Musculoskeletal conditions can have a huge impact on people’s lives. They may not take life, but for many they take away the quality of life. This is particularly true for the many people living with constant and sometimes unbearable pain.
Prevent, Transform, Cure – the Arthritis Research UK manifesto for Scotland (PDF 1.7 MB) calls for decision makers to put in place policies that will lead to the prevention and cure of musculoskeletal conditions while transforming the services provided to those that live with them.
What does the manifesto call for?
The manifesto calls for politicians in Scotland to take action by:
- preventing the development of musculoskeletal conditions through enhanced public health pathways
- transforming lives through smarter, more person-centred care and improving early diagnosis
- ensuring long-term support of medical research to find a cure for arthritis.
To deliver this vital agenda we’re asking members of the Scottish Parliament to become Arthritis Champions, fighting on behalf of those with musculoskeletal conditions at both Parliament and the local level.
How can MSPs get involved?
- Download our guide to your first hundred days in Parliament (PDF 364 KB), suggesting actions MSPs can take to stand up for people with arthritis.
- Issue our template press release championing your support for our manifesto. Download the template press release (DOC 69 KB)
- Check whether your Integration Board has included musculoskeletal conditions in their joint strategic needs assessment. If they haven't, write to them and ask them why, using the template letter. Download the template letter to integration boards (DOC 68 KB)
- Ask your local council’s audit committee (or equivalent) to conduct an investigation into support services for people with musculoskeletal conditions.