Please read these terms and conditions carefully before using this site.
What's in these terms?
These terms tell you the rules for using our website www.arthritisresearchuk.org (our site).
Who we are
We are Arthritis Research UK, registered charity number 207711 in England and Wales and SC041156 in Scotland. We invest in breakthrough treatments, the best information and vital support for everyone affected by arthritis. We are a registered company in England and Wales number 490500 and our registered address is Copeman House, St Marys Court, Chesterfield S41 7TD.
Arthritis Research UK Trading Limited is a registered company in England and Wales number 891517 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Arthritis Research UK which trades on our behalf. In this policy, “we” means both Arthritis Research UK and our subsidiary.
For all questions regarding these terms please speak to our supporter care team:
- by mail to: Supporter Care, Arthritis Research UK, Copeman House, St Mary’s Court, St Mary’s Gate, Chesterfield S41 7TD
- by email to: email@example.com
- by phone on: 0300 790 0400
There are other terms that may apply to you.
If you purchase goods from our site, our terms and conditions of supply will apply to the sales.
Changes to these terms and this site
We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
We may update and change our site from time to time and we may suspend or withdraw our site.
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our site for business and operational reasons.
Our site is directed to people residing in the United Kingdom. We do not represent that content available on or through our site is appropriate for use or available in other locations.
You must keep your account details safe.
If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How you may use material on our site
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
Do not rely on information on this site
The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
We’ve made every effort to make sure that the content on our site is correct at time of publication, but we cannot guarantee its accuracy at the time you access it or that it is relevant to your particular circumstances. If you would like further information or if you have any concerns about your diagnosis, treatment or if you need a diagnosis then you should discuss this with your doctor, rheumatology nurse or pharmacist.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up to date.
We are not responsible for websites we link to
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties representations or other terms which may apply to our site or any content on it.
- We will not be liable for any loss or damage (including loss of data), whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, the site or any information contained on it; or
- use of or reliance on any content or information displayed on our site; or
- the provision of, or our failure to provide, any products, services or events ordered or made available through our site (unless stated otherwise in any relevant additional terms and conditions).
- Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any products to you, which will be set out in our terms and conditions of supply.
- Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
Uploading content to our site
Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties.
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
In addition to these general terms and conditions the following specific conditions will apply to Ask Arthy:
- Arthy is an application that understands natural-language input and uses machine learning (what it has learnt on our site) to respond to you in a way that simulates a conversation.
- Arthy provides general information which is relevant to your query and not tailored medical advice. By using Arthy you confirm that you understand the limits of the information provided. If you would like further information or if you have any concerns about your diagnosis, treatment or if you need a diagnosis then you should discuss this with your doctor, rheumatology nurse or pharmacist.
- Every effort is made to ensure that the information provided by Arthy is correct at the time of publication, however this publication date will be before your conversation with Arthy. For example, if you ask about a particular drug, our information could be from 2016 but Arthy will tell you when you ask in 2017 or later. We cannot guarantee that the information provided by Arthy is up to date.
- Arthy may provide you with information about exercise or exercise techniques that you could follow. If you’re worried about starting a new exercise then your doctor can give you a check-up to make sure you’d benefit from more activity. If necessary, your GP can also refer you to see a physiotherapist or other healthcare professional who can advise you about specific exercises.
- Arthy may provide you with information about drugs. We have made every effort to ensure that the information is correct at time of original publication, but remember that information about drugs may change. Arthy will give you information about a drug for general education only and will not list all the uses and side-effects associated the drug. If you have any questions about drugs that you are taking or considering taking then please contact your GP for specific advice.
- Arthy does not need your personal information and will only ask for your name. Arthy will not treat your conversations as personal data and you must not provide Arthy with any other personal information which may be used to identify you, for example your address, NHS number, bank details etc.
We are not responsible for viruses and you must not introduce them.
We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software and check all content that you download from our site before using it.
You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
Rules about linking to our site
You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page.
We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
If you wish to link to or make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, including linking directly to our content or publications please contact email@example.com
Which country's laws apply to any disputes?