We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
For more information, go to

What are the dangers of postponing hip replacement/resurfacing?

Q) I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the hip 10 years ago and was recommended for replacement. I decided to delay surgery. Currently I'm 61 and fairly active (I do long-distance cycling) but can't walk too well. However, I don't have much pain and just need an occasional aspirin to help me sleep. My affected leg is now at least half an inch shorter than the other. My question is: what are the dangers of postponing hip replacement/resurfacing further? Am I doing structural damage to my hip by continuing to cycle long distances that might complicate future surgery? Doctors seem to imply that I should get maximum value from my natural hip and only go for replacement if in serious pain.
Dr Derek Wright, Watford, Hertfordshire (Summer 2007) 

A) A dif´Čücult case. Surgeons are generally reluctant to operate unless the pain is bad. On the other hand, they want to be able to do a straightforward operation with the minimum of technical fuss. In your case, although you have little pain, it sounds as though you're making the damage in your hip worse, as evidenced by the leg shortening. I think it's time to have an up-to-date x-ray and to go back and see the surgeon to discuss the situation.


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

More Information Close
For more information, go to or call 0300 790 0400 to order the complete printed booklet.
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.