We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
For more information, go to

What are the names for the patch form of painkillers?

Q) In the spring 2007 edition of Arthritis Today, Mrs B Walker of Polegate, East Sussex, asked if there were any painkillers stronger than paracetamol for her arthritis, and you mentioned some are now available in patch form, though expensive. Could you let me know the names of the patch painkillers? I'm always ready to try anything that may help. I'm 86, have longstanding 'top-to-toe' osteoarthritis and have had two hip replacements.
Mrs Joan Ottewell, Belper, Derbyshire (Summer 2007) 

A) The patch form of painkillers are morphine based. Although they're designed to be effective and convenient they're strong and can have significant side-effects, particularly in the elderly. The three available are called Duragesic (the drug is called fentanyl), Transtec and Butrans (in both of these the drug is called buprenorphine). They're stuck on the skin at a convenient spot and changed every three days in the case of Duragesic, every four days in the case of Transtec, or weekly in the case of Butrans. Some people have difficulty with the patches and develop an allergic reaction. Sometimes nausea, dizziness and confusion develop, but on the whole they're effective and well tolerated.


0800 5200 520

Our new helpline: Call us for free information, help and advice on your type of arthritis.

All calls are recorded for training and quality purposes

More Information Close
For more information, go to or call 0300 790 0400 to order the complete printed booklet.
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.