We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
For more information, go to

What is palindromic rheumatism?

Back to Palindromic rheumatism

Palindromic rheumatism is a form of inflammatory arthritis. It's also known as palindromic arthritis. People who have it get attacks of joint pain and inflammation. These flare-ups start in one joint but may spread to others before settling down completely. The joints appear normal between attacks.

Palindromic rheumatism gets its name from the term 'palindrome'. A palindrome is a word or phrase which reads the same forwards or backwards (for example 'level' or 'madam'). A typical palindromic attack begins and ends in the same way and is at its worst point during the middle.

Previous Next
Back to Palindromic rheumatism
For more information, go to or call 0300 790 0400 to order the complete printed booklet.
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.