Homepathy trials for osteoarthritis
A systematic review identified three RCTs of oral or topical homeopathic treatment of osteoarthritis; two trials were conducted on participants with knee osteoarthritis and one trial involved participants with hip and/or knee osteoarthritis:
- The first trial compared the homeopathic remedies Rhus toxicodendron and Lac Vaccinum, which were taken by mouth, with placebo drops and paracetamol tablets in 65 people for one month.
- The second trial also investigated Rhus toxicodendron (given by mouth), but here it was compared 600 mg a day fenoprofen (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), placebo tablets and placebo drops in 36 people for two weeks.
- The third trial compared SRL, a homeopathic remedy applied to the skin, with piroxica (an NSAID gel) in 184 people for four weeks.
- In the first trial, a significant but similar reduction of pain was observed in the two treatment groups.
- In the second trial, only participants taking fenoprofen reported significant pain reduction.
- Participants who were given SRL in the third trial reported a greater reduction in pain when walking.