We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more
For more information, go to

Should I see a doctor about my shoulder pain?

Back to Shoulder pain

Unless you have a traumatic injury or experience sudden and continuing pain, there’s no need to see your doctor straight away. But if the pain doesn’t improve after about two weeks then you should see your doctor or a physiotherapist in case you have a more complex problem.

You should see your doctor as soon as possible if you:

  • develop severe pain in both shoulders
  • also have pain in your hips or thighs
  • also feel feverish or unwell.

These can be signs of a condition called polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), which needs to be treated quickly.

Previous Next
Back to Shoulder pain
For more information, go to or call 0300 790 0400 to order the complete printed booklet.
Arthritis Research UK fund research into the cause, treatment and cure of arthritis. You can support Arthritis Research UK by volunteering, donating or visiting our shops.