Goal 3 - Ensuring people remain active and free from pain.
Ensure more people with arthritis will remain active and free from pain
At least half of arthritis sufferers across all age groups will be able to undertake their normal everyday activities without pain.
How we will measure progress
We will continue with our programme of focussed surveys as well as monitoring the research and market survey reports that emerge from elsewhere.
Where we are now
Although there is much more to do in relation to developing new approaches to treatment of arthritis there are many programmes of both self care and optimal care and advice to be delivered by health care professionals which could do more to maintain activity levels amongst sufferers.
What we will be doing:
- Working to ensure that research advances that are proven successful are fully exploited for patient benefit
- Constantly reviewing the field in order to understand the constraints caused by arthritis and for new approaches to maintaining mobility
- Providing sound practical advice for patients through our website and printed material
- Campaigning for appropriate levels of support for people with arthritis
- Supporting research into activities leading to a greater understanding and awareness amongst patients and health care professionals of best practice in these areas
- Supporting world class research aimed at developing novel approaches to both physical e.g. exercise and surgical interventions that are more effective and less invasive than current techniques