Our purpose and strategy
Our vision and purpose
Our vision is a future free from arthritis.
How we achieve this over the long term is set out in our purpose statement:
Arthritis Research UK exists to prevent the onset of arthritis, develop a cure for arthritis and transform the lives of those with arthritis (now and in the future) by building, applying and sharing knowledge.
Our objective for 2020 is:
To improve the quality of life of people with arthritis so those seeking help from Arthritis Research UK are enabled to make informed choices and supported to realise their decisions so they can say “I’m in control, independent and recognised”.
By 2020 we want people with arthritis to say:
- I’m in control – I’m equipped and able to manage my condition and the impact it has on my day-to-day life. I’m in control of my treatment, management of my pain and other symptoms and can confidently navigate the health and social care systems.
- I’m independent – I’m living well and doing the things that make my life fulfilling and meaningful. I have the required support to do so.
- I’m recognised – I feel I have a voice. I feel heard, understood and visible rather than brushed aside or excluded.
We want those seeking help to come to us and for us to be seen as the organisation to come to. To do this we’ll proactively promote and signpost we’re here, and develop what we offer through dialogue with those living with arthritis.
We’ll invest in activities that ensure that those seeking help receive information and advice in a way that’s right for them so they know their options and can make an informed choice.
Our strategic areas of focus
Our six strategic areas of focus to 2020 are:
1. Find and engage: Find and engage people with arthritis to increase reach and the number of people seeking help from us.
2. Inform and support: Deliver our personalised offer so people feel informed and supported.
3. Influence: Influence the local and national environment, piloting new activity so that we improve the environment and provisions for people with arthritis.
4. Research: Deliver impactful research into prevention, treatment and cure that transforms people's lives.
5. Organisation: Develop the organisation’s infrastructure, capacity, capability and skills.
6. Income: Raise income that is integrated with our activities and allows us to do more.